Sunday, August 15, 2010

Growth My Concern



Here, introduce to you one of my early works: Growth


I made this series in 1985...25 years ago!(Oh, time is cruel)


You might wonder why these five pear-shaped marble sculptres are associated with growth. I understand the idea of growth is hard to be expressed in any specific forms or there are simply too many ways to illustrate it. Then, why not use abstract forms to illustrate abstract idea ?


To catch the essence of an idea, you have to reduce the object to its very basic form. I learn this from Brancusi, the pioneer of abstract sculpture.


However, if you have seen my later works, you should notice that my style is changing over the years. Every artist will eventually develop her own unique style, isn't that so? I thought simplicity its own was no longer sufficient to express my idea, so I decided to add in more details, like this one below:

This one is named "Seeds", made in 2006. Not only they look like a seed, I also put them in a natural environment. Lying in grass, they seem to have a force inside the layer of brown skin, or a soul. That is growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment